My university has always preceded the beginning of classes with a week of planning meetings as long as I've been here. That begins today for this academic year.
Traditionally we have the awarding of medallions to retirees of distinction, followed by an address from each of several administrators. They have yet to finish on time in my presence (year #38 starting) followed by an abbreviated time for break-out sessions on different topics in different locations. This afternoon the College of Arts and Sciences along with the professional schools will meet to introduce new faculty and discuss priorities for the coming year.
I have had different roles (department chair, chair of Academic Council, chair of the Curriculum Committee) that involved me leading meetings with various groups during the rest of the week. Now that I am Faculty Ombudsperson I have a lower profile; I will send a gentle reminder of that role to the faculty via email later in the week.
There is a loss of the peace and contemplation (and convenient parking) during the summer but it is good to see returning faces in waves; faculty and staff this week and students next week. I do enjoy teaching and it is time to get back to it.
Comments
Post a Comment